Jesus prayed for us. Not in general terms, He prayed specifically for the following:
- That we will be one in the Lord
- That our oneness would speak to the world that they might believe in Jesus
- That our unity would perfectly show God’s love to the world
- That we will be with Him where He is
- That we would reveal the glory of God.
You know what He didn’t pray for? Hefty bank accounts, healthy bodies, happiness, easy living, speaking in tongues, miracles, popularity…
He prayed that you and I will be united with Him to continue His ministry of saving lost souls, introducing sinners to their Savior.
Earlier He had told the disciples that He is the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one – NO ONE – can go to the Father except through Jesus. Then Jesus prayed that you and will pass that Truth on.
One of the last things Jesus did in His human body was to pray for you and me. Are you as blown away by that as I am? Let’s be the answer to His prayer by uniting with Him and each other, the Church, and demonstrating to the world what being united with Christ looks like. And let’s not grow tired of speaking the Truth in love, so that lost souls can be found, sinners can be saved.
To the glory of God!