Did you notice what all Jesus said about Himself in these chapters today? The Gospel of John is such a good resource for getting to know the Savior, in the same intimate way John knew Him.
Jesus wants us to know His relationship with the Father. He calls God “MY Father,” and says His role as Son includes:
- Doing what the Father does (5:19)
- Raising the dead the like His Father does (vs 21)
- Using His God-given authority to judge (vs 22, 27)
- Deserving the same honor given to the Father (vs 23)
- Giving eternal life (vs 24)
- Doing that which the Father sent Him to do (vs 36)
Jesus points to the Old Testament prophets, then said they were talking about Him! In fact, He says, if you really believed Moses, you’d believe Me. Jesus in verse 43: “I have come in my Father’s name.”
In chapter six Jesus likens Himself to the manna that fed the wandering Jews in the wilderness as recorded in the Old Testament. He called Himself the Bread of Life! (6:35) Just like manna, Jesus came from heaven to save those Jewish people… and us! He said His body would be given for the life of the world.
I hope you’ll read these chapters today and get to know Jesus, your Savior. Oh what love the Father has shown us in the person of His Son.